30 April 2008

About me



I'm a biologist and training provider, originally from the UK and Ireland but now living in Namibia. I take whatever opportunities I can to work in different countries and regions, to see the diversity of marine life, the different coastlines, & to learn from the people in these areas and their different attitudes and approaches to living with the sea. I'm especially interested in the conservation of cetaceans (whales and dolphins) and elasmobranchs (sharks and rays) and in sustainable marine tourism. I also provide training to promote local monitoring and conservation efforts. I have been working in various parts of Africa since 2007 - initially I focused on projects in West Africa but now also work on the east coast.  

I hope that this blog will provide readers with some insight into Africa's seascapes, coasts and marine life, as well as the communities whose lives are linked to these environments, their cultures and their struggles. And of course, some results from my research – what I learn as I go along, how it might help in the conservation of marine ecosystems in Africa and the amazing wildlife and people they support.

If you would like to contact me please send an email to:
ruth.leeney AT gmail.com

Thanks for reading.

No comments: