30 April 2008

About me



I'm a biologist, social scientist and writer, originally from Ireland. I have worked on the African continent since 2007, taking whatever opportunities came my way to work in new places, see the diversity of marine life, the different coastlines, & to learn from the people in these areas and their different attitudes and approaches to living with the sea. I'm especially interested in the conservation of chondrichthyans (sharks, skates, rays and chimaeras) and cetaceans (whales and dolphins); in sustainable marine tourism and in the cultural links and traditions between coastal societies and marine animals. 

I hope that this blog will provide readers with some insight into Africa's seascapes, coasts and marine life, as well as the communities whose lives are linked to these environments, their cultures, their viewpoints and the challenges they face. 

If you would like to contact me please send an email to:
ruth.leeney AT gmail.com

Thanks for reading.

No comments: